UBCO Food Services
UBC is regularly receiving and proactively responding to updated information from the Provincial Medical Health Office, BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC), BC Ministry of Health and Interior Health.
The Public Health Agency of Canada continues to assess the public health risk associated with the virus. UBCO does not currently have any confirmed cases among its faculty, staff and student community. We continue to monitor this situation closely and will provide ongoing updates as needed. We encourage you to stay up-to-date through ubc.ca, and continue to practice social distancing.
What We're Doing
As always, safety and security remain our highest priorities. In response to COVID-19, UBC Food Services has taken the following additional precautions:
Increased frequency of cleaning in high-touch areas
Hand sanitizer stations are available in all major locations
Staff are reminded to wash their hands frequently and with proper hand-washing techniques
Staff are asked to stay home if they are ill or have flu symptoms
Right now, the following locations are currently open, with reduced menu offerings:
- Picnic, open 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Mon - Fri.
- Tim Hortons Library, open 7 a.m. - 2 p.m., Mon - Fri, and 8:30 a.m. - 3 p.m. weekends.
The following locations are closed until further notice:
- Tim Hortons Express
For more info, head here
Currently, Picnic is enacting the following protocols:
1. Self-serve stations are closed, and guests are required to use chits for ordering meals.
2. All seating in the UNC has been removed.
3. Floor decals and signage instructs customers to stay 2 metres (6 feet) apart from one another at all times.
4. Cash is no longer being accepted.
5. Sanitizer has been provided for use before entering the order area.
Currently, UBCO Food Services is the following protocols:
1. Self-serve beverage dispensers (hot and cold) are turned off. Water is available at stations near the entrance.
2. The POS screens are wiped with sanitizer
3. All pastries that were previously open to self-serve are now wrapped. No open food is exposed to customers.
What You Can Do
Coronavirus COVID-19 is transmitted through contaminated droplets spread by coughing or sneezing, or by contact with contaminated hands, surfaces or objects. Here are important tips for preventing the spread of COVID-19:
Wash your hands frequently for 20-30 seconds using soap and water, or by applying enough 60-90% alcohol-based hand sanitizer to cover all surfaces and rubbing your hands for 20-30 seconds until dry
Do not touch your eyes/nose/mouth with unwashed hands
When you sneeze or cough, cover your mouth and nose with a disposable tissue or the crease of your elbow, and then wash your hands
Stay home when you are ill or if you have fly symptoms like fever or cough, to avoid spreading the illness to others
Avoid close contact with people who are sick with an infection
If you don't need to be out, stay home.