Mandatory Meal Plans
The information on this page is for students on the Mandatory Meal Plan during the
2020-2021 academic year, and is not applicable for the Fall 2021 term,
as UBCO will be moving to an All You Care To Eat meal plan. More exciting details coming soon!
Residence Meal Plans
The Mandatory Meal Plan is for students living in Cassiar, Nicola, Purcell, Kalamalka, Valhalla, Skeena and Similkameen Place.
Having a meal plan has many advantages, but most importantly it means you’ll be sharing great meals with friends in a caring environment where diversity, wellbeing, and community matter.
Save Time & Energy
Focus on studying, making friends & getting involved in your new community.
Lighten your Load
No need to plan, shop, prep & clean up meals.
How Your Meal Plan Works
When you purchase your meal plan, funds are loaded onto your UBCcard. The Mandatory Meal Plan is a declining balance plan. Like a debit account, Dining Dollars in your meal plan account are deducted when you make food purchases.
Every food item has an individual price. Dining is not “all you care to eat” and there are no pre-set numbers of meals allotted to each student.
You must have your UBCcard with you when you make food purchases from your meal plan. If you don’t have it you will be asked to pay cash, credit or debit. Meal plans are non-transferable.
Residence Meal Plans are made up of of two types of Dining Dollars: Basic Dollars and Flex Dollars.
Flex dollars are taxable and are used for other on-campus purchases (gum, candy, chips, toiletries, convenience and grocery store items), at our off-campus dining partners, and all campus dining locations.
Which Meal Plan Should I Choose?
Bronze Plan: Perfect for students with small appetites who dine on campus during the week but rarely on weekends.
Silver Plan: Our default plan. Ideal for students with average appetites who dine on campus during the week and every other weekend.
Gold Plan: For students with large appetites who dine on campus during the week and most weekends.
Platinum Plan: For students with very hearty appetites who dine on campus the entire week.
Top up anytime through the online service center.
When your contract expires, your remaining balance is auto-transferred to a non-refundable, non-transferable and taxable Carryover Plan, valid for purchases at UBCO Food Services locations, Campus partners and Pay-for-Print.
A partial refund may be requested within seven days after your contract has been cancelled or expired. To qualify for a refund a minimum amount of $50 is required. If you request a refund: 66% of unused Basic Meal Plan Dollars are refunded, with the remaining 34% retained by UBCO Food Services. Unused Flex Dollars are refunded at 100%. All refunds are subject to a $25 administration fee. You may request a refund of your Flex Dollars only, and allow your Basic Meal Plan Dollars to automatically be placed in a carryover plan. Refunds are initiated once you have completed the refund form.
For more details please refer to your Residence Contract.
Lost or stolen UBCcards must be deactivated and reported immediately.
- Freeze your Residence Meal Plan by deactivating it through the SHHS Online Service Centre.
- Report your lost/stolen UBCcard through the UBC Carding Office.
- Get a replacement card from the UBC Carding Office.
- Visit a UBC Food Services location on campus and ask the cashier to swipe your new card - this puts your new UBCcard information in the system.
- Reactivate your Residence Meal Plan through the SHHS Online Service Centre.
UBC Food Services assumes no responsibility for fraudulent use of your UBCcard before your account is deactivated and your lost/stolen card is reported to the UBC Carding Office.
Cardholder is responsible for all transactions and any indebtedness arising from card use.
UBC Food Services reserves the right to withdraw any or all card privileges.
Information is kept confidential in compliance with the Freedom Of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Please see your Residence Contract for additional details about your mandatory meal plan.
Read the Nutrition Blog
Learn tips and tricks to perform your best while attending UBC.
Ask a Question
Students can email the dietitian with food or nutrition questions.