You’re One Bite Away from a Healthier You!
Nourishing your body and mind through food is important all year long! If you are looking for delicious, simple, and nourishing recipes, as well as credible and evidence-based nutrition tips, then check out this amazing cookbook!
It was created by UBCO students as part of a nutrition course, with help from Dr. Sally Stewart, School of Health and Exercise Sciences/Director Nutrition Education Center, and Julie Stachiw, RD, UBCO Food Services.
We hope this book provides education and inspiration for healthy eating choices to fuel your health, happiness, and academic success.
Want a quick teaser? Check out this delicious recipe from the cookbook:
- 1.25 cups dry quinoa
- 3 tbsp seedless raisins
- 3 tbsp chopped apricots, dried and uncooked
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp flaxseed oil
- 1.25 tsp paprika
- 1 cumin seed
- 0.75 tsp cilantro (dried)
- 1.5 avocados, raw
- ½ cup green onion
- 1 cup raw spinach
- ½ medium red pepper
1) In a medium saucepan, bring 2.5 cups water and the quinoa to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce the heat to med-low and let simmer for 10 minutes. Alternatively, whole wheat couscous could be used to substitute quinoa
2) Add the raisins and apricots to the quinoa. Cook mixture 2 to 5 minutes longer until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is tender. Immediately fluff the quinoa with a fork and spread onto a baking sheet to cool to room temperature
3) In a small bowl whisk the lemon zest, lemon juice, oil, paprika, cumin and cilantro
4) In a large bowl toss the vinaigrette with the quinoa and mix in the avocado, green onions, spinach, red pepper and almonds
5) If desired, serve on a bed of spinach